Sweet revenge

Revenge is a sweet dish whether served hot or cold. The Falcons got revenge of their week three loss away to Peterborough Saxons. This Sunday, the new look Falcons, took to the field in front of a noisy crowd at the “Falcons Nest” aka Leicester Road Stadium, Hinckley. The Saxons took the opening kick off and, with their heavy run game, they seemed to march effortlessly down the field. Once again the Falcons Defence started off sluggishly conceding early to go behind 0-7 in the opening minutes of a game that a play off place was riding on. However, as in previous weeks, the Falcons coaches made adjustments and shut the opposition down.

The Falcons Quarterback Stuart Franklin took to the air and spread the ball to his receivers, Glenn Herring, Ashton Jackman and Alex McCormick. With the Saxons worried about the passing game Ashton “AP” Patterson continued his great rookie season with cutting runs. The Falcons got on the scoreboard with a short pass to Glenn Herring for his first Touch Down since his welcome return to the Falcons.

The Falcons Defence was put under scrutiny but strong performances by Tom Ball, Vlad Maximov and Pete Cleaver saw them hold firm and force fumbles at key places. The Falcons could have taken the lead going into the half but the last play of the half saw a pass intended for Ashton Jackman broken up by a Saxons defender. So, going into the half time break, the scores were tied at 7-7.

As the second half started the Falcons were driving but a questionable fumble call by the refs gave the ball back to the Saxons. However, Defensive captain Ron Mason stole the ball off the shoulder of a Saxons receiver and sprinted in for his 4th interception and 2nd touchdown of the season to take the Falcons into a 14-7 lead. The Falcons increased their lead to 10 points with a 30 yard field goal making the score 17-7. Then a lapse in concentration on the Saxons next drive saw a long pass from the Saxons Quarterback down the right sideline for a touchdown. The extra point was missed which saw the lead cut to 4 at17-13.

The teams then traded possessions until, with 7 minutes remaining, the Falcons brought in the Running Back pairing of Steve O’Hare and Nat “The Beast” Evans. They chewed up the yards until Eaves smashed the ball into the end zone carrying defenders to give the Falcons an unassailable lead; 23-3. Jackman slotted home a final field goal as time expired to make the final score 26-13.

This victory gives them a 5-2 record, which puts them in a strong play off push. With 3 games to go, the Falcons have put themselves in a great position for post season action. The Falcons are next in action ion the 19th July against Leeds Bobcats at Leicester Road Stadium Hinckley. Kick off; 2:30. The Falcons will be hoping for a great home crowd to push them over the line.